Click for Tim Hennigan GallerySKYWAGON FORUMS
Provided by the
International 180-185 Club
Donated by:
Cybernautical Services For
Aeronautical Businesses

Over 200 Aviation
Websites done.
As of August, 2009 you must be a logged in 180-185 Club Member to Post anything. If you had a Forum account prior to that date, and have not become a Club Member, then that account has been placed on hold. Use the regular Skywagons.org Club website login screen. Membership or login is not required to View anything. See www.skywagons.org [Login Overview] for more details or to authorize yourself if already a Club member.

The International 180-185 Club does not review, endorse, nor necessarily agree with anything posted on this Forum. No warranty is provided in regards to the legality of any aircraft modifications, nor performing any maneuver, including landings, relative to your personal pilot skills. FAR 61.103(c) is applicable.

Skywagons >> Maintenance Tips

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
duncan
Master Webmaster

Reged: 05/04/02
Loc: Crawford, CO (99V)
Camshaft, Lifter, Pushrod Removal and Inspection
      #1659 - 03/11/04 03:43 PM Attachment (151 downloads)

Although the ferrous PPM/Hr was low in my last oil change, I clean my ADC oil filter and send the debris to Aviation Laboratories at every annual inspection. Last month they replied that the material I sent in proved to spectroscopically match AMS#6371 - possible CAMSHAFT material. Since the original TCM re-man camshaft only lasted 500 hours, and TCM provided the replacement (at no charge) - I thought I better have a look-see.

This thread shows some of the tools and tricks that make this task easier, beginning with the attached photo of a home-built Pushrod Housing (Tube) Spring Compression device. You should have a licensed Powerplant Mechanic supervise your efforts.

First remove the lower set of sparkplugs and cylinder baffling. You can secure these on top the engine.

Next remove the Rocker Covers and their gaskets. If you don't have replacement gaskets, take care not to destroy the old ones, but they DO need to be removed from the cylinder to provide rocker shaft removal clearance.

Next, remove the targeted (exhaust or intake) rocker shaft hold-down bolt. Rotate propeller to ensure the cam lobe is not pressing on the rocker/valve. Generally you can remove the rocker shaft with finger pressure, but a soft mallet tap may be required to start it. The rocker shaft exits toward the side of the cylinder. You can leave the shaft in the cylinder housing once the rocker arm is removed. If you remove the shaft, be sure you return it and its associated rocker to the same cylinder location. Remove the two rocker arm thrust washers also.

Remove the pushrod, noting its location and up/down orientation. An easy way to do this is with a cardboard box, with 12 pushrod-sized holes in the top. Mark "forward" on the box too.

Although a large screwdriver can be used, the attached picture shows how an old flat bladed putty knife can be shaped to cup the pushrod cover radius, giving much more purchase, security, and less damage to the pushrod cover.

--------------------
Skywagon Listmaster

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
duncan
Master Webmaster

Pushrod Cover Removal Tool [Re: ]
      #1660 - 03/11/04 03:46 PM Attachment (138 downloads)

This picture shows how the tool is shaped to match the tube's outer circumference, and is applied to compress the spring. Note the spring has made characteristic wear marks on this pushrod housing tube.

--------------------
Skywagon Listmaster

duncan
Master Webmaster

Re: Pushrod Cover Removal Tool [Re: ]
      #1661 - 03/11/04 03:48 PM Attachment (120 downloads)

Engine-side view of applying pressure to compress the spring.

--------------------
Skywagon Listmaster

duncan
Master Webmaster

#1662 - 03/11/04 03:49 PM Attachment (134 downloads)

It takes a lot of "push" to compress the spring. Note how narrow the tool must be to get betwen intake tube and cylinder.

--------------------
Skywagon Listmaster

duncan
Master Webmaster

#1663 - 03/11/04 03:53 PM Attachment (119 downloads)

You need to push until you can see the (white) upper end pushrod housing packing and adjoining washers. Carefully remove these from the pushrod housing end. A second person is very helpful here, but don't slip on the tool and nip off the ends of their fingers!

--------------------
Skywagon Listmaster

duncan
Master Webmaster

Re: Camshaft, Lifter, Pushrod Removal and Inspection [Re: ]
      #1664 - 03/11/04 03:56 PM Attachment (111 downloads)

Remove the pushrod housing (tube) and the washers and packing from the other end (engine block).

This picture actually show the packing just before re-installing the pushrod housing - repeated later with more explanation.

--------------------
Skywagon Listmaster

duncan
Master Webmaster

Re: Camshaft, Lifter, Pushrod Removal and Inspection [Re: ]
      #1665 - 03/11/04 04:01 PM Attachment (133 downloads)

Once you have remove the pushrod housing and packing, use a .030 safety wire, with a small 1/2 hooked end to extract the lifter. DO NOT use a magnet as it can magnetize the internal check valve. The hydraulic lifter should have a shiny surface with no pits. Lifters often fail before the camshaft does.

The picture shows the common "fishhook" wear pattern on the face of the lobe, just before and after the top of the lobe. This is caused by the angle cut on the cam lobe which forces the lifters to rotate during normal operation. No pits or corrosion should be seen.

--------------------
Skywagon Listmaster

duncan
Master Webmaster

Installing Lifters [Re: ]
      #1666 - 03/11/04 04:03 PM Attachment (117 downloads)

This picture shows how a 7/16 deep socket can be "padded" with black electrical tape to snug fit in the lifter and be used to insert into the lifter hole on the crankcase.

--------------------
Skywagon Listmaster

duncan
Master Webmaster

Pushrod Housing Installation Trick [Re: ]
      #1667 - 03/11/04 04:09 PM Attachment (115 downloads)

The idea here is to attach .020 safety wire to the pushrod housing springs, holding them in a compressed state. These are then slid onto the tube and makes reassembly a snap and easily done by one person.

First, place safety wires on opposite sides of spring, running though the last full loops. If you will be unable to cut and remove the safety wire when installed, due to clearance issues, add an additional "loop" as shown here towards the left side of the spring.

--------------------
Skywagon Listmaster

duncan
Master Webmaster

Re: Pushrod Housing Installation Trick [Re: ]
      #1668 - 03/11/04 04:14 PM Attachment (109 downloads)

Put the spring in a bench vise, compress it fully while applying tension to the safety wire. Once compressed, twist the safety wire ends. If using the "loop" method, give them good twists also. The loops will be snagged with another tool when installing the springs. You will tug on these loops and untwist the loose ends, so cut these rather short to assist in their unraveling.

If not using the "loop" method, it is best to cut the end twists rather long to assist your grabbing them once installed and the safety wire cut with traditional diagonal cutters. The small electronic ones work best.

--------------------
Skywagon Listmaster

duncan
Master Webmaster

#1669 - 03/11/04 04:21 PM Attachment (89 downloads)

Install inner washer and packing ring to the crankcase. The soft packing ring will help guide and center during installation.

Place pushrod housing through upper hole in cylinder, go past cylinder wall cooling fins, slide on the spring (held compressed by two safety wires), then slide on the outer pushrod cover washer that goes against the packing.

In this picture there was sufficient room to get the diaganol cutters in, so the "loops" were not used. Note length of twist on safetywire ends to assist grabbing them.

--------------------
Skywagon Listmaster

duncan
Master Webmaster

#1670 - 03/11/04 04:23 PM Attachment (96 downloads)

Now cut one safety wire and remove it using the twisted end. You can then rotate the pushrod cover to easily cut and remove the remaining safety wire.

--------------------
Skywagon Listmaster

duncan
Master Webmaster

The "Loop" Method Installation Trick [Re: ]
      #1671 - 03/11/04 04:28 PM Attachment (83 downloads)

When you just can't get the diagonal cutters in, this "loop" method works great. Just make a loop "pulling tool" out of .040 safety wire that has a rotating hook. Slide the hook through the loop, rotate and pull hard enought to unravel the twisted ends of the safety wire.

This picture shows the hook engaged in the loop. Note the twisted ends of safety wire, with just a few twists. Pull hard.

--------------------
Skywagon Listmaster

duncan
Master Webmaster

Re: The "Loop" Method Installation Trick [Re: ]
      #1672 - 03/11/04 04:35 PM Attachment (89 downloads)

This is a close up of the .040 hook engaged in the .020 loop. Note the 1/2 twist on the hook to keep the hook from straightening out when pulling on the loop.

--------------------
Skywagon Listmaster

duncan
Master Webmaster

Re: The "Loop" Method Installation Trick [Re: ]
      #1673 - 03/11/04 04:37 PM Attachment (87 downloads)

When the safety wire ends unravel, you will suddenly have something like this in your hands. Be sure to note that both unravelled ends are attached, otherwise you may have some safety wire entangled in the pushrod housing spring. This must be removed if it happens.

--------------------
Skywagon Listmaster

duncan
Master Webmaster

#1674 - 03/11/04 04:39 PM Attachment (93 downloads)

While the safety wires are holding the pushrod housing spring compressed, you can easily install the first washer before the packing.

--------------------
Skywagon Listmaster

duncan
Master Webmaster

#1675 - 03/11/04 04:40 PM Attachment (83 downloads)

...then the packing.

--------------------
Skywagon Listmaster

duncan
Master Webmaster

#1676 - 03/11/04 04:42 PM Attachment (83 downloads)

...then the final washer. At this point you will be ready to release the spring tension. Watch your fingers! You can pre-guide the cylinder end into its hole before releasing tension.

--------------------
Skywagon Listmaster

duncan
Master Webmaster

Handy Valve Spring Compression Tool [Re: ]
      #1677 - 03/11/04 04:51 PM Attachment (129 downloads)

Here is a trick for compressing the valve springs. Place a 1/4-20 bolt into the hole where the rocker cover screw normally goes. Apply a claw hammer to the valve spring retainer. Be sure to observe that the valve spring retainer keys are not dislodged.

You might need to do this when reassembling the rocker arms. Note position of bevel in assembled rocker shaft. Be sure to fully align the rocker retainer bolt hole with NO side loads in order to properly torque this bolt.

Also note the wear pattern on the #5 cylinder's rocker shaft. I am told this is normal after just a few hours of running. The wear will be on the bottom (engine) side when properly asembled.

--------------------
Skywagon Listmaster

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7019

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Rob Duncan for ? International 180-185 Club