Click for Tim Hennigan GallerySKYWAGON FORUMS
Provided by the
International 180-185 Club
Donated by:
Cybernautical Services For
Aeronautical Businesses

Over 200 Aviation
Websites done.
As of August, 2009 you must be a logged in 180-185 Club Member to Post anything. If you had a Forum account prior to that date, and have not become a Club Member, then that account has been placed on hold. Use the regular Skywagons.org Club website login screen. Membership or login is not required to View anything. See www.skywagons.org [Login Overview] for more details or to authorize yourself if already a Club member.

The International 180-185 Club does not review, endorse, nor necessarily agree with anything posted on this Forum. No warranty is provided in regards to the legality of any aircraft modifications, nor performing any maneuver, including landings, relative to your personal pilot skills. FAR 61.103(c) is applicable.

Skywagons >> Destinations

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
grading
Owner

Reged: 04/04/05
Loc: Hillsboro, Oregon
Re: Airplane Camping in AZ, CA, NM, TX [Re: LewH]
      #12044 - 06/15/10 09:01 PM

Quote:

How about Utah ?
We have awesome Fly-camping in the USA !
http://www.utahbackcountrypilots.org/openmic/ubbthreads.php

Utah is very inviting the UBCP is always going and doing something.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
grading
Owner

Re: Airplane Camping in AZ, CA, NM, TX [Re: shortfielder]
      #12045 - 06/15/10 09:10 PM

Quote:

Grading
You might think about Gateway/Hubbard. It is in Colorado, but only a couple miles from Utah and alot of good strips. You can camp on the field, even an old hangar you can move into if needed. Also a nice resort if it gets too cold for ya.
Have fun, the flying is great right now,
Gary

I did make it to Leadville in March, what a bumpy bumpy ride.

grading
Owner

Re: Airplane Camping in AZ, CA, NM, TX [Re: grading]
      #12545 - 11/26/10 10:11 PM

Gateway / Hubbard on the sectional indicates a Private Airstrip. What do you have to do to get permission to land there?

nmskywagon
owner

Reged: 04/12/10
Loc: Los Lunas, NM
      #12586 - 12/06/10 08:41 AM

Grading:

Strip is adjacent to"Gateway Canyons Resort". Plenty of info on the web. Call them and they will even come and pick you up.

It is an incredible place and while you are there, make sure you go through their old car museum. In the middle of nowhere, they have built a first class resort. You can either stay there or just have a nice lunch at the restaurant.

Have Fun! Larry

grading
Owner

Airplane Camping in AZ, CA, NM, TX [Re: nmskywagon]
      #12593 - 12/06/10 10:39 PM

Just how far is the Gateway Canyons Resort from Hubbard airport? Is there a tie down by the Hangar? I was able to Goggle the airport and it looks great! I am trying to make a round robin flight from Borrego Ranch CA - Peach Springs Az - Sedona Az - Marble Canyon AZ - Hubbard CO - Leadville CO - ?? - ?? - Borrego Ranch CA. Do you have other ideas of other interesting places to visit?

TKurreck
Owner

Reged: 01/01/06
Loc: San Jose, CA
      #12649 - 12/13/10 09:13 AM

Lots of excellent dirt strips between Moab and Bluff and Powell, ranging in size and skillset required, YMMV. Some excellent hiking near old uranium mines and such, great fun in there!! I'd recommend Hanselman's Utah book for some excellent descriptions and fun history.

SprayplaneRob
owner

Reged: 11/29/09
      #12656 - 12/14/10 08:17 AM

The resort at Gateway is about a 1/4 mile from the end of the strip. Your trip covers a bunch of ground with Tons of great places in between. How much time are you spending? and are you looking at camping opportunities or just airport stops?

--------------------
Because light flies right

duncan
Master Webmaster

Reged: 05/04/02
Loc: Crawford, CO (99V)
Re: Airplane Camping in AZ, CA, NM, TX and UTAH [Re: grading]
      #12663 - 12/15/10 10:15 AM

www.GatewayCanyons.com is their website. Read the info about calling them before arrival and they will come pick you up. Be sure tell them how many passengers, etc. so they can bring the appropriate vehicle. The primitive Dolores Point Utah back-country strip is just above the resort for sport too. The Resort features a GREAT automotive museum, and is often the destination for car clubs - so you might have a free show in their parking lot.

You are welcome to come visit/stay at our airpark home at 99V too while meandering around western Colorado. FYI a www.NMpilots.org back country strip finder is imminent.

--------------------
Skywagon Listmaster

grading
Owner

Re: Airplane Camping in AZ, CA, NM, TX [Re: SprayplaneRob]
      #12778 - 01/24/11 10:54 PM

Looking for great camping spots.

N180FM
X-wind Expert

Reged: 03/15/11
Loc: New Mexico
      #14500 - 06/12/12 08:37 PM

Negrito (0NM7) is a wonderful location to fly camp. It was/is a US Forest Service airstrip built for the purpose of firefighting, but most of the firefighting these days uses a base camp at Silver City instead of these remote strips. The scenery is beautiful, and there is plenty of wildlife including elk to spice things up. It is a relatively high elevation airport (about 8100 feet), but it also has a pretty long runway too (over 7000 feet) but you can't count on all the runway being available. We have found that people in vehicles have driven on the runway when it was muddy making for deep ruts that could cause you issues on landing. There is a crosswind runway too but I haven't landed on that one and can't comment.
Bottom line is this is a nice place to camp but there are no amenities so you will need to bring everything you need with you.
We make a practice of contacting the USFS before landing as a courtesy and to stay in their good graces. The best person to contact for more information is Mr. Larry Filener. You can find him through the New Mexico Pilot's Association website.
I should mention that the recent Whitewater/Baldy fire in Southwest NM may have burned this area to the ground.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8720

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Rob Duncan for ? International 180-185 Club