Click for Tim Hennigan GallerySKYWAGON FORUMS
Provided by the
International 180-185 Club
Donated by:
Cybernautical Services For
Aeronautical Businesses

Over 200 Aviation
Websites done.
As of August, 2009 you must be a logged in 180-185 Club Member to Post anything. If you had a Forum account prior to that date, and have not become a Club Member, then that account has been placed on hold. Use the regular Skywagons.org Club website login screen. Membership or login is not required to View anything. See www.skywagons.org [Login Overview] for more details or to authorize yourself if already a Club member.

The International 180-185 Club does not review, endorse, nor necessarily agree with anything posted on this Forum. No warranty is provided in regards to the legality of any aircraft modifications, nor performing any maneuver, including landings, relative to your personal pilot skills. FAR 61.103(c) is applicable.

Skywagons >> Power and Propeller

Pages: 1
C185Amphib
owner

Reged: 10/28/09
Loc: Virginia
Turbo Tech Exhaust Turbo Charger
      #11503 - 10/28/09 07:51 AM

Has anyone installed the Turbo Tech installation on an IO520D and how do they like it. What was the performance increase? Anyone know the weight difference? Have anyone heard of the STC for the TIO540JB2D out of a Navajo from Turbo Tech.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DonMc
Owner

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Round Rock Texas
Re: Turbo Tech Exhaust Turbo Charger [Re: C185Amphib]
      #11506 - 10/28/09 08:18 AM

I have the Turbo Tech STC with the Lycoming TIO540J2BD. I don't think that STC is available anymore. I have recently been in contact with the folks that bought the Turbo Tech STC for the 520. It is Metal Innovations. I talked to Mike there
mike.sirr@metalinnovations.com

Zane R. Gard, Jr., D.C.
Clinical Director
Walker Road Chiropractic, PC
www.walkerroadchiro.com
www.fitwithdrzane.com
503-439-9494 office
503-645-4404 FAX
503-314-2957 cell

This man is the head of Utah Pilots Assoc and knows of several members with the Continental STC

Hope this helps
DonMc
N61516

--------------------
DonMc
N61516
A&P I/A

C185Amphib
owner

Reged: 10/28/09
Loc: Virginia
Re: Turbo Tech Exhaust Turbo Charger [Re: DonMc]
      #11507 - 10/28/09 10:56 AM

Found out the kit is $32k plus 100 hours of installation time. STC for IO520D is held by http://www.metalinnovations.com/
I talked with them and they seemed like nice people.

wingnut185
owner

Reged: 09/17/09
Re: Turbo Tech Exhaust Turbo Charger [Re: C185Amphib]
      #11517 - 10/29/09 10:23 AM

I have about 50 hours in a Turbo Tec IO520. It's in a '81 185 on PK 3500 ampigs. This set up is awsome!! It has a manual waste gate controlled by what looks like a second throttle. Firewall the throttle and twist the wastgate knob untill you see about 26". It will creep right up to 30" and pull you out of any hole. The trees at the end of the lake disappear. I could not imagine flying this a/c above sealevel with out a turbo. I believe the additional weight is about 25 lbs. Which could be easily offset with an MTV prop. This engine has over 1000 hours on the original cylinders. I would not even consider the Lycoming conversion. The cowl must be 4" longer, the battery must be moved to the far aft of the tailcone, or two bats installed in stock location for CG. This is a much heavier engine at a further forward CG. The cost of installation and engine purchase and engine overhaul is much more than a Continental. 350 HP would be nice, but I think you would be money, and power to weight ahead, by having Lycon build a IO550 or IO520 and doing a turbotec. Metal innovations holds the stc for IO520 only. Their system is totally redesigned, and allows the exhaust to exit on the right side instead of the left as on the older turbotec system. The previously installed turbotec systems were stc'd to the airframes, not the engines. This allows for the IO550 to be installed.

Edited by wingnut185 (10/29/09 10:29 AM)

DonMc
Owner

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Round Rock Texas
Re: Turbo Tech Exhaust Turbo Charger [Re: wingnut185]
      #11524 - 11/01/09 01:36 PM

The cost of a rebuilt 550 plus the cost of the Turbo kit will likely equal or exceed the cost of a TIO540J2B or BD. If the STC was available you would have that cost to add in. It is true the cowling must be extended 4" Then there is the need for the propeller which is the same one used on the Navajo. A great prop. Very quiet. There is a guy in Minden NV. that sells this conversion for the 210 Cessna. Last quote was $100,000. The upside of this conversion is that you would have what Lycoming touts as their "workhorse engine" with 350 HP. Perfornance is outstanding. At sea level my 185 pegs the rate of climb at 2000' fpm. At 12,000 I get 1700 fpm. According to the W&B there was 100lb weight gain over the stock 520D that was removed. The battery is mounted aft as mentioned and there are two hunks of lead bolted to the bulkhead the tailcone attaches to.

--------------------
DonMc
N61516
A&P I/A

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3314

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Rob Duncan for ? International 180-185 Club