Click for Tim Hennigan GallerySKYWAGON FORUMS
Provided by the
International 180-185 Club
Donated by:
Cybernautical Services For
Aeronautical Businesses

Over 200 Aviation
Websites done.
As of August, 2009 you must be a logged in 180-185 Club Member to Post anything. If you had a Forum account prior to that date, and have not become a Club Member, then that account has been placed on hold. Use the regular Skywagons.org Club website login screen. Membership or login is not required to View anything. See www.skywagons.org [Login Overview] for more details or to authorize yourself if already a Club member.

The International 180-185 Club does not review, endorse, nor necessarily agree with anything posted on this Forum. No warranty is provided in regards to the legality of any aircraft modifications, nor performing any maneuver, including landings, relative to your personal pilot skills. FAR 61.103(c) is applicable.

Skywagons >> Parts and Service Suppliers

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
mperkins
Owner

Reged: 05/04/02
Loc: Berthoud, CO
Cargo Net
      #1145 - 11/19/03 09:31 PM Attachment (603 downloads)

Great cargo net made by the folks at Mountain Canyon Flying in McCall, ID. Ask for Lori M. See the attached photo.

--------------------
Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
vet114
Skywagon Personality

Loc: Queen Creek Az
Re: Cargo Net [Re: ]
      #1146 - 11/20/03 05:16 AM

Great photo Mike, how much are they and how much for the seat rail attach points?
Mark

--------------------
Mark
1535C
5AZ3

stewartb
addict

Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Alaska
      #1159 - 11/24/03 11:01 AM

Atlee Dodge makes one, also. I've had one of Atlee's for years. Similar to your photo, but the backing material is netting, not solid. I can still see out my back windows if I want. Comes with the spar carry-through fitting and floor attach fittings.
SB

mperkins
Owner

#1175 - 11/28/03 08:40 AM

This doesn't block the view as its designed to lay over the top of the load and connect to 5th and 6th seat belt points in the back and then the eye rings on the seat rails up front. This does not go up to the ceiling.

--------------------
Mike

mperkins
Owner

#1176 - 11/28/03 08:41 AM

I think it was $400 - $450. The seat rail rings were about $85 each. I use 4 of them. They are kind of pricey but real nice. Come from www.cargosystems.com.

--------------------
Mike

stewartb
addict

Re: Cargo Net [Re: mperkins]
      #8701 - 12/31/07 09:20 AM

I guess I'll resurrect this old thread. My Atlee Dodge net has the option of hanging directly behind the pilot from the spar carry-through to the floor. The anchors are provided. My net is made of 1" webbing on approx 6" centers in each direction and is backed with a much finer mesh so small stuff can't get through, yet you can easily see through it. Atlee now has tie-down rings that connect to the seat rails, both Cessna and McFarlane. His Ancra connectors have always fit into his jump seat tracks. I installed several Ancra bases so I have options for using my net. I can cover a little stuff on the floor, or more typically I'll drape the net from the spar carry-through and fill the plane up. Atlee's spar carry-trough anchors are short U channels that attach to the carry-through with structural pull rivets and finish flush inside the headliner. An Ancra round base anchor screws through the headliner to the U channel. The installation is very clean and tidy. The bottom of the net has adjustable straps with latches on the ends so cinching the net tight is made easy.

Here's another option for cargo nets.
http://www.us-rope-cable.com/HTML/cargoWEB.html

And tie-downs.
https://www.ancra.com/consumer/productdetail.php?prodid=22

Stewart

hilltop180
Owner/A&P/IA

Reged: 02/26/04
Loc: Anch, AK & Fredericksburg, TX
Re: Cargo Net [Re: stewartb]
      #8702 - 12/31/07 09:56 AM Attachment (611 downloads)

Picture of Atlee Dodge cargo net.

stewartb
addict

Re: Cargo Net [Re: hilltop180]
      #8703 - 12/31/07 10:09 AM

Restraining some Home Depot KD cabinets? That's a mission I'm familiar with!

Stewart

hilltop180
Owner/A&P/IA

Re: Cargo Net [Re: stewartb]
      #8708 - 01/01/08 09:37 PM

Yep, 1400 pounds worth of them (in several loads). They are HEAVY! But I'm gonna have a nice kitchen and bathroom come next summer.

With Everts Air Cargo at $1.00/pound from Anchorage to Iliamna last summer (including surcharges and taxes), hauling them in the Cessna paid off big time.

dar636
Owner

Reged: 12/24/05
Loc: Seattle area
Re: Cargo Net [Re: hilltop180]
      #8737 - 01/07/08 06:06 PM Attachment (499 downloads)

Here is another option for netting. I bought the one for the extended baggage area and will consider the one for just aft of the front seats when I start flying N14PH again next month. The prices were good and the quality top notch. The contact info for the guy is at the hanger, I'll have to get it next trip...

dar636
Owner

Re: Cargo Net [Re: dar636]
      #8738 - 01/07/08 06:08 PM Attachment (465 downloads)

And another shot of the fwd net

tomhoward
Owner

Reged: 03/13/03
Loc: Vaughn, WA (KPWT)
Re: Cargo Net contact. [Re: dar636]
      #8776 - 01/16/08 06:16 PM

Matt, I think your net was made by Mountain Wave Aviation in McCall. Mark McClellen can be contacted at 253-872-9211 or 805-340-5703.

--------------------
Tom Howard
N180NT
1977 180K

Reagan
Have Rod, Will Travel

Reged: 05/13/02
Loc: Boulder CO
Re: Cargo Net contact. [Re: tomhoward]
      #8777 - 01/16/08 08:23 PM Attachment (413 downloads)

I have two of Mark's nets. They will fit later model 180s and 185s, from about 1976 on. If you have an earlier model, the hard points for fixation in the main spar carrythrough are NOT there, and you do NOT want to be drilling your main spar. You will have to use your bolt holes in your BAS harness hard points. Technical issues, but most would want to be aware of this feature..Here's a pic of the main spar carrythrough, courtesy of Mike Perkins' military look.
Reagan

stewartb
addict

Re: Cargo Net contact. [Re: Reagan]
      #8779 - 01/17/08 07:58 AM

Reagan,

Why wouldn't you want to drill your spar carry-through? What basis do you have for making that statement? Not only is my F.A. Dodge net kit attached like that, so is my STD'd Hooker harness kit. The Hooker plates require 5 or 6 pull rivets on each side of the spar along with a 1/2" through bolt. I've never installed a BAS reel but I assumed it installs similarly. Is that assumption incorrect?

Like Atlee told me a long time ago, the spar carry-through is in compression during flight, so some small holes won't affect a thing. The only time it's in tension is when the plane's on the ground, and given the strut-supported construction, the tension load is small. That made perfect sense. I'd like to hear what information you may have that contradicts Atlee and Hooker.

Stewart

dar636
Owner

Re: Cargo Net contact. [Re: tomhoward]
      #8784 - 01/18/08 12:11 AM Attachment (312 downloads)

Mark was who made the net though I spoke to him from Kent WA and don't know if he is from McCall (The 253 area code number) and they do fit late model 185's. Mine is an 81. The FWD net which I have not bought yet uses existing upper attach points. The AFT upper holes for the shoulder harnesses and there are two nutplates factory installed inboard of the ones you use for the BAS harnesses. See pics.

Reagan
Have Rod, Will Travel

Reged: 05/13/02
Loc: Boulder CO
Re: Cargo Net contact. [Re: stewartb]
      #8788 - 01/19/08 03:45 PM Attachment (257 downloads)

Stewart,
Probably good points, but do you really think Atlee's thoughts would contribute to the determination that a Cessna 185 is airworthy if it had undocumented alterations to it's main spar carrythrough and a inspector from the Denver FSDO was inspecting it?
I would think that what get's modified in Alaska had better stay in Alaska, unless it gets a really thorough Field Approval first. Speaking of that, do you see many of Michael Petrie's fiirewall battery box installations where you live? I think my sources have convinced the Denver FSDO to sign off his box installation as well as his extended baggage floor lowering mod. Everyday stuff in Alaska, but a big deal for approval down here. A very big deal.
Reagan

stewartb
addict

Re: Cargo Net contact. [Re: Reagan]
      #8813 - 01/21/08 10:30 PM

Reagan,

Off the top of my head I'm not sure Atlee's net mod would require an approval. Because your FSDO won't approve a mod does not mean you can't do it. Some mods are simply outside the jurisdiction of field approvals.

Back to the spar carry-through. How and where do your BAS reels attach?

As for the MLJ battery box? I can't say who's using it, aside from me. I like it, I prefer the Odyssey PC625 battery, and the approval was simple.

Stewart

hilltop180
Owner/A&P/IA

Re: Cargo Net contact. [Re: stewartb]
      #8814 - 01/22/08 02:27 AM Attachment (247 downloads)

I've used the MLJ firewall battery on my C-180 for the past 8 or 9 years. It works so well I had one installed on my C-195 in 2006 and it works just as good on the 300hp Jacobs as it does on a O-520. It typically will remove 17lbs from the airplane and moves the cg forward which is good in Alaska with all the survival gear I carry in the extended baggage.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8367

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Rob Duncan for ? International 180-185 Club