Click for Tim Hennigan GallerySKYWAGON FORUMS
Provided by the
International 180-185 Club
Donated by:
Cybernautical Services For
Aeronautical Businesses

Over 200 Aviation
Websites done.
As of August, 2009 you must be a logged in 180-185 Club Member to Post anything. If you had a Forum account prior to that date, and have not become a Club Member, then that account has been placed on hold. Use the regular Skywagons.org Club website login screen. Membership or login is not required to View anything. See www.skywagons.org [Login Overview] for more details or to authorize yourself if already a Club member.

The International 180-185 Club does not review, endorse, nor necessarily agree with anything posted on this Forum. No warranty is provided in regards to the legality of any aircraft modifications, nor performing any maneuver, including landings, relative to your personal pilot skills. FAR 61.103(c) is applicable.

Skywagons >> Airframe Ideas

Pages: 1
brettandringa
owner

Reged: 11/06/08
Loc: KDRI
Javelin 18 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank Info
      #10514 - 01/09/09 05:53 PM

I have a Javelin auxiliary fuel cell that was installed in 1963 on my 53' 180. I have the STC for it, and that includes weight and balance information for the tank installation, but not the arm for fuel in the tank. I don't believe the company is in bussiness any more.

My question is whether anyone has one of these tanks installed or has information on where to find weight and balance data on them? Is the Weight and CG data in the STC for the installation the same for the arm of the installed fuel?

Brett
North Pole, AK

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hilltop180
Owner/A&P/IA

Reged: 02/26/04
Loc: Anch, AK & Fredericksburg, TX
Re: Javelin 18 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank Info [Re: brettandringa]
      #10516 - 01/09/09 10:43 PM

Brett-

The Javelin was included in the TCDS for the C-170;

*113. 18 gal. auxiliary tank installed in accordance with Javelin Aircraft Co., 24 lb. (+99)
1405 S. Oliver, Wichita, Kansas. Installation Instructions dated September 15, 1955, and dwgs. Nos. 782-1 and 787 for landplanes and dwgs. Nos. 782-1, 782-2, and 787 for seaplanes.
(See NOTE 1 for data on unusable fuel)

NOTE 1. Current weight and balance report including list of equipment included in certificated empty weight, and loading instructions when necessary, must be in each aircraft at the time of original certification and at all times thereafter............. When Item 113, 18 gallon auxiliary fuel tank, is installed an additional 3 lb. unusable fuel at (+99) must be included.

Note 1 shows the arm will be the same for the Javelin tank and the gas inside it.

The arm of the Javelin tank on your plane may be different than the 170 but the arm of the gas inside the tank should still be the same as the arm for the tank itself.

brettandringa
owner

Reged: 11/06/08
Loc: KDRI
Re: Javelin 18 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank Info [Re: hilltop180]
      #10517 - 01/10/09 04:36 AM

Thank you very much. Mine is under a 337 with a weight and balance addition and a flight supplement for 180. The key piece is that mine doesn't reference 3 gallons of unusable fuel. I think that 3 gallons listed at (+99) on your TCDS is the deal breaker.

I have also discovered that my weight and balance for the plane lists the 2 rear seat passengers at (+48). This is well forward of the (+70) that is listed in the TCDS 5A6. I have the original bench seat.

This has all motivated me to do a complete scrub of the equipment list and reweigh the plane in the next annual (it's in storage now while I'm deployed to Iraq). Thanks for your help.

Brett

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3889

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Rob Duncan for ? International 180-185 Club